How you spend your birthday can determine how your year goes. Let me share with you 5 steps to make 2017 your best year ever.
The first part of the celebration that I do every year on my birthday is to look at the last year of my life and see what it looked like. I look at how close I came to my goals, what changes I made and how they worked out.
Every year there are many changes for me and I bet if you looked at where you were a year ago, you’d see there have been a lot of changes for you too.
To give you an example, let’s just pick a year in my life and say today is my birthday. It’s time for my yearly review. Let me give you a snapshot of my year and then I’ll give you how the exact steps for doing your own year in review to create every year as your best year ever.
My sample year:
It’s May and I was living in Sonoma, CA. loving the time I was spending in the wine country. I thoroughly enjoyed the time I spent there, but I really wanted to be closer to an airport and to be looking at the ocean as I worked each day. So I moved to Southern CA. with airports all around me to choose from and I have my ocean view.
When I first started to realize it was time for me to get back to the ocean I had no idea it would be in California. I thought I would be moving to Hawaii or Florida, or even back to Mexico. Later that month I spent a week in Newport Beach, one of my favorite places in CA. But my husband at the time didn’t like the congestion.
In August we went to Maui and my husband was offered a great opportunity, but decided it wasn’t time for us to go to Hawaii if I was going to be speaking on the mainland a lot. So, 5 months later there I was in north San Diego county.
Now, I have to tell you that when my husband made his decision based on my speaking career, I didn’t really have one yet. My husband had a lot of faith in me to create my life as I want it, so there was no doubt I would end up doing exactly what I told him I wanted to do.
I had wanted to be a speaker since I first came up with the idea of writing a book, which eventually became, “Change One Thing, Change Your Life“. I also released the sales program, “Getting to YES Without Selling, The YES System“. But I was only marketing on my website. In July of that year, right before we went to Maui, I spoke at a 2-day seminar for the first time.
The response I received from attendees at that event led me to plan my own 2-day seminar for September and I was on my way. A few months later I conducted a “Getting to YES Without Selling Boot Camp“. In February I listened to the requests for a women only seminar and created the “Women’s Business Empowerment Summit“, which became a top even for women entrepreneurs for the next several years.
This same year I became a co-author of 2 excellent books, “Walking with the Wise” and the Barnes and Noble #1 best seller, “Wake-Up Live the Life you Love“. I did more radio interviews and teleseminars than I can count, appeared in magazines and started my own teleseminar series.
All of these things except for “Walking With the Wise” were not even on my radar the last year at this time. I stayed in the space of being open to things coming from unexpected sources.
And I have a system that I follow each year to insure my success. I’d like to see you implement this same system on your birthday each year.
When doing this whole process you’ll go into more detail with your year in review than I just illustrated.
5 Steps to Making 2017 Your Best Year Ever:
- First you’ll do what I just did and think back over the new things you’ve accomplished this year. Hopefully there are so many you can’t remember them all. Fill in all the details of how it came about. You’ll be surprised by the synchronicity of how things are connected through the way you spend your time.
- Go back through your calendar and fill in anything you left out.
- Get out your goals for this year and see how many of them you have already accomplished by your birthday. Cross out the ones you’ve hit and add new ones.
- Did you meet or exceed your expectations of what the last year would be for you? If not, why? If you did, how did you do it and is it a system you can use to create success in other areas of your life?
- Celebrate your personal and professional accomplishments of the last year. Get out the pictures you’ve taken of the events of your year and review the year with someone you love.
Drop me an email and let me know how this system has helped you to have a better year than the year before.